Monday, March 19, 2007

Huh? What?...Plumbing? Are you Serious?!?


Well...yeah, actually, I am serious. Over the last few weeks, I have made the decision to search for a plumbing company that would be willing to take me on as a starting apprentice. Now, I admit, this seems like a 180 degree spin from social work and the shelter, but in actuality, this has been something I have been thinking about for quite some time.

I really enjoy my work at the shelter, but I have been craving something different...I really would like a chance to work with my hands again, in a physical environment. My goal is that I begin an apprenticeship, and continue my social work diploma until it is completed. Jeanne and my folks would not let me leave another academic program half-finished. Considering that this would be my...oh...200th career/educational/vocational change since highschool, I imagine that the people who know me quite well would not be suprised.

There are a couple big motivating factors for my decision, first and foremost is how this could help our family. In four years, I could be a journeyman plumber, making serious money. As a social worker, to get a comparable salary, I would need 2 more years for my diploma, 4 years to finish a BSW part time, and 2 years for an MSW. So the educational component would take twice as long.

As an apprentice plumber, the wages will be comparable to what I am making now, plus I would be getting overtime bonuses. And the pay increases substantially each year that I apprentice. So from a financial point of view, trades would be the no-brainer decision for me right now. Especially concidering that I plan on continuing my social work education as I go along with plumbing, at least until I finish my diploma.

One big goal that Jeanne and I have is to buy a house in the near future. As a social worker, in order for me to make enough for that to happen, we would have to move somewhere quite remote, where the wages are more attractive. But plumbers are in high demand everywhere, especially in Edmonton.

Apart from the financial aspects, plumbing is something that I am really interested in. I really like the idea of working with my hands, and being a part of new house construction. I think it would be a great job helping install fancy bathroom and kitchen fixtures, and just seeing the whole process from start to finish.

The knowledge aspect is a big reason for me, too. When I was a kid, I had absolutely no respect for my dad, because he was involved in trades and heavy equipment. I felt embarrassed going to a private school with a bunch of doctor and lawyer's kids. It took a long time for me to realize just how valuable my dad's skills and knowledge really are. I have a real desire to learn how to do something skillful with my own hands...I am at a point now where I am really regretting not helping my dad out every time he fixed up something around the house. I want to tap into that.

So, as I see it, it is a win-win scenario...learn a skilled trade, that I get to keep for the rest of my life, and also work part time on my education...which I am already doing. The best part is that I will be able to fix my own leaky toilet instead of calling out for help :)

I really, really need everyone's prayers with this; I have made contact with a number of contractors, and I am going to continue contacting them and others until someone is willing to take me on as an apprentice. Its a challenge, because most contractors are looking for 2nd year apprentices and up. It feels sort of needle-in-haystack...I know that plumbing company is out there, I just haven't found them yet.

Everything else is really good at home. Isaac just recently turned 18 months old, he is getting so big now it is scary! His hair is really starting to come in; he's going to need a haircut soon. Grandma Rowan came for a visit last week, and gave Jeanne and I a big break. It was so nice...I was able to get some papers written for class, and Jeanne was able to relax a little bit and not have to be chasing Isaac around the whole time while I was doing homework. It was also really nice to just have a visit with Mom. Thanks for coming, Mom!

Jeanne is doing pretty good. I think that with Mom coming for a visit, her body revolted and said, "Hey! You're taking a break! This must be the perfect time to get sick!" Jeanne seems to get sick every time she allows herself a few moments of relaxation. I think she works so hard that she actually wills her body into good health, until it just gives up. So she is a little sick right now. I managed to convince her to stay home and rest today; she sounds much better after getting some sleep in.

Well, that seems like the general idea, as far as updates go. Please pray that Jeanne can get some rest, she works way too hard for her own good. And if you have time, please pray that someone will get ahold of me about this plumbing thing.

Peace to all of you, and hopefully we will hear from you soon :)

-Will

1 Comments:

At 9:19 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really neat, Will. I'll definitely keep you in prayer.

My sister always gets sick on long weekends. Fine Friday, fine Tuesday, sick every day in between. She hates it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home